Monday, May 26, 2014

Red Lights Optional


Let's talk about taxis.

So far, I have had* good experiences with the cab drivers in Gwangju. For the most part, they are friendly, knowledgeable, and very eager to try and communicate in a mix of Korean and English* to figure out where exactly I want to go.

Don't get me wrong, there have been some less than chatty drivers. Some of them get frustrated that we can't communicate more than we can. In all fairness, I know how to say the name  of the highschool that is nearest to Oni's apartment, and the name of the apartment building that is nearest my apartment. So, it can get confusing.


However, one thing they all have in common is this: they are slightly insane when it comes to driving.

Yes, I realize this is not specific to Gwangju. This is a trait that I believe is inherent in the species cabbicus driverus.

It also may have something to do with the moon, because it gets worse after midnight.

For example, red lights are more of a suggestion than a command during the day. At night? They don't exist.

I've taken to keeping my eyes closed during the better part of a taxi ride.

Especially when it's raining. And the cab smells distinctly... sweet. You know what smell I'm talking about. Don't pretend you don't.

However, the most important thing I've learned is this: Don't panic. Chances are, your cab driver knows where he's going. If he doesn't, cabs abound in Gwangju. You can jump in another one. If all else fails, you can call your boss or Korean friend and have them tell the cab driver where to take you.

Basically, you probably won't die. And if you do, we all gotta go sometime.

Nabi out.

*  mostly


*termed "Konglish". Not even kidding. It's a thing.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment