Friday, May 9, 2014

Of Nicknames

Oni is very unhappy with me.

Don't worry, I haven't intentionally set her shower to drench her in the middle of the night*.

No, she is unhappy because I don't have a Korean nickname for the blog.

"You get to call me Oni, but I always have to say 'le younger sister' when I talk about you. It's annoying! Fix it."

Alrighty then.

Therefore, I set about fulfilling Oni's commands. Later that day, two of my Korean friends heard of my predicament and began helping out.

They suggested many nicknames, but nobody liked them. Then I heard someone say "Nabi".

Curious, I asked what that meant. My friend told me it translated into "butterfly", and I was sold.

See, my nickname in America was "Flutterby". My Dad always told me that I "fluttered by" and didn't pay attention to anything when I was a child.

Perfect.

So, from now on, when Oni posts, I will be referred to as "Nabi".

Just so you know.

 
Speaking of Korean nicknames, we have a very good friend here with whom we hang out a lot. She already had a Korean nickname: Mandu.

That means dumpling.

She chose that herself because, in her own words, she is "short, dense, and round"*.

So, there you have it, friends. The three (expat) Musketeers: Oni, Nabi, and Mandu.


All for one, and one for all.



*though I've been tempted

*false. She is beautiful and shapely. But I'll still call her Mandu because it's cute.

No comments:

Post a Comment